Designation : Associate professor
Area of Specialization : Mycology and Plant Pathology
Research Extension :
Plant Pathology, Plant defense mechanism, Plant Disease resistance
Teaching Experience :
Under-Graduate Course ( Plant Pathology, Mycology, Plant Physiology, Pharmacognosy)
Post-Graduate Course (Plant Pathology & Mycology)
1. Fellow of the Indian Botanical Society (F.B.S.)
2. National Scholarship, Govt. of India.
3. City College Medal in 1986.
4. Dr. D. M. Bose Memorial Prize, Brahmmo Samaj Education Society
Professional Membership : 1. Life member of Indian Mycological Society. 2. Life Member of Indian Botanical Society. 3. Life Member of National Botanical Society. 4. Life Member of Probir Chatterjee Research Foundation (PCRF).
Important Publication :
1. Bera, S. and Purkayastha, R.P. (1992). Physiological studies on strains of Pestaliopsis versicolor isolated from a mangrove plant. Journal of Mycopathological Research, 30: 157-165.
2. Bera, S. and Purkayastha, R.P.(1998). Methyl-parathion induced β-1,3-glucanases and chitinases affecting resistance of rice to sheath blight. Journal of the Indian Botanical Society, 77 (suppl.) :6
3. Bera, S. and Purkayastha, R.P. (1999). Multicomponent co ordinated defence response of rice to Rhizoctonia solani causing sheath blight. Current Science, 76 : 1376-1384.
Research Projects :
UGC project - “Studies on biochemical defense of rice plants with special reference to sheath blight disease”
Collaborations : Not Yet
Special Achievements :