Designation : Associate Professor, Geology
Area of Specialization : Sedimentology-Ichnology
Research Extension :
1. Doctoral thesis Guidance: RECONSTRUCTION OF QUATERNARY DEPOSITIONAL ENVIRONMENT IN PARTS OF RAHR BENGAL, WEST BENGAL: AN INTEGRATED GEOMORPHOLOGICAL, SEDIMENTOLOGICAL AND ICHNOLOGICAL APPROACH.
2. Collaborative research With Prof. S. Bandyopadhyay(Department of Geography, Calcutta University) and Dr. Subhamita Chaudhuri (Barasat State University): Coastline evolution in parts of Sundarban Delta: An integrated geomorphological, Sedimentological and neoichnological purview.
3. Collaborative research with Dr. S. Mandal, Jadavpur University: Study on the taphonomic overprinting on the geological record of Plant-Animal Interaction.
4. Collaborative research with Prof. S. Hasiotis, Kansas University: Siwalik Ichnology, India.
Teaching Experience :
Sedimentology, Palaeontology, Phanerozoic Stratigraphy
Not yet awarded
Professional Membership : Researchgate
Important Publication :
- Chakraborty, A., Bhattacharya, S. and Bhattacharya, C., 1990: Groundwater geochemistry and the effects of groundwater and phosphate mining-processing on health. Ind. Jour. Earth Sci., v. 17(2): 149-156.( ISSN: 0379-5128).
- Bhattacharya, C., Chakraborty, A. and Nandi, K., 1990: Rose colouration of muscovite in rose mica schists from Manbazar-Gopalnagar, Puruliya district, West Bengal, Eastern India. Current Science, v.59(20): 995-997.(IF: 0.774-JCR-JournalCitation Rate//ISSN:0011-3891)
- Bhattacharya, C., Chakraborty, A. and Banerjee, P.K., 1991: Petrology-geochemistry of Apatite-Magnetite Amphibolites and their role in phosphate mineralisation along the Southern Shear Zone, Puruliya District, West Bengal. Ind. Jour. Earth Sci., v. 18(2): 94-109.( ISSN: 0379-5128)
- Sengupta, S., Chakraborty, A. and Bhattacharya, H.N., 1999: Fossil Polyplacophora (Mollusca) from Upper Talchir sediments of Dudhi Nala, Hazaribagh, Bihar. Journal Geological Soc. India, v.54: 523-527. (ISSN: 0016-7622 (print version) ISSN: 0974-6889 (electronic version)
- Chakraborty, A. and Bhattacharya, B., 2001: Discussion on paper “Evidences of Faunal activities in the Talchir Formation, Raniganj Basin, Eastern India. - Siddhartha Sengupta and A. Chatterjee. Indian Journal of Earth Sciences, 27(1-4): 48-50.( ISSN: 0379-5128)
- Bhattacharya, H.N., Goswami, A. and Chakraborty, A., 2002: Sedimentary Facies Analysis of A Permo-Carboniferous Terminoglacial Succession, Saharjuri Basin, Jharkhand. Journal Geological Soc. India. v.60: 401-410.( ISSN: 0016-7622 (print version) ISSN: 0974-6889 (electronic version)
- Bhattacharya, H.N., Bhattacharya, B., Chakraborty, I., and Chakraborty, A., 2004. . Sole Marks in Storm Event Beds in the Permo-Carboniferous Talchir Formation, Ranigunj Basin, India. Sedimentary Geology, v.166: 209-222. (ISSN: 0037-0738 IF: 1.957 //5-Year IF: 2.365
- Chakraborty, A. and Bhattacharya, H.N., 2005: Ichnology of a Permo-Carboniferous glaciomarine ice-contact deltaic set-up, Talchir Formation, Saharjuri Basin, India. Ichnos, v.12, No. 1, pp. 31-45.//(IF: 0.688-2011)ISSN: 1042-0940 (Print), 1563-5236 (Online)// DOI: 10.1080/10420940590914480
- Bhattacharya, H.N., Chakraborty, A. and Bhattacharya, B., 2005. Significance of Transition between Talchir Formation and Karharbari in Lower Gondwana Basin Evolution- A Study in West Bokaro Coal Basin, Jharkhand, India. Journal of Earth System. Sciences, V.114, No. 3, pp. 275-286. (IF: 0.820-2011)( ISSN: 0253-4126)
- Bhattacharya, H. N., Bhattacharya, B. and Chakraborty A., 2007. Crustacean burrow fills as obstacles for current crescents in Permo-Carboniferous Talchir Formation, Raniganj Basin, India. Journal of the Geological Society of India, v. 69: 1269-1270. .( ISSN: 0016-7622 (print version) ISSN: 0974-6889 (electronic version)
- Bhattacharya, H. N., Bhattacharya, B., and Chakraborty, A., 2009. Architecture of Storm Event Beds from Late Paleozoic Glaciomarine Talchir Formation, Talchir Coalfield, Orissa. Vistas in Geological Research, U.U. Spl. Publ. in Geology (8): 1-10.
- Kundu, A., Goswami, B., Eriksson, P.G. and Chakraborty, A., 2011. Palaeoseismicity in relation to basin tectonics as revealed from soft-sediment deformation structures of the Lower Triassic Panchet formation, Raniganj basin (Damodar valley), eastern India. Journal of Earth System. Sciences, V.120, No. 1, pp. 167-181. (IF: 0.820-2011//ISSN: 0253-4126 (print version)-ISSN: 0973-774X (electronic version)
- Chakraborty, A., Chaudhuri, S. and Bandyopadhyay, S. (2011): Ecological and sedimentological controls on spatial differentiation of crab burrows: A case study in Gangasagar beach area, West Bengal. In Bandyopadhyay, S., Bhattacharji, M., Chaudhuri, S., Goswami, D.C., Jog, S.R. and Kar, A.K. (editors): Landforms Processes and Environment Management. ACB Publications. Kolkata: 338–355. [ISBN 81-87500-58-1]
- Chakraborty, Abhijit. and Bhattacharya, H. N., 2012: Early Permian Xiphosurid trackways from India. Journal of the Geological Society of India, 80(1): 129-135.(IF:0.596-2011)// ISSN: 0016-7622 (print version)-ISSN: 0974-6889 (electronic version)// (DOI) 10.1007/s12594-012-0127-7.
- Chakraborty, A. and Bhattacharya, H. N., 2013. Spreiten Burrows: A Model Based Study on Diplocraterion parallelum, In Mukhopadhyay et al (eds.), Geospectrum: proceedings of UGC sponsored conference on recent researches in Earth System Science. 368p. ACB Pub. ISBN 81-87500-70-0.
- Chakraborty, A., Hasiotis, S. T., Ghosh, B. And Bhattacharya, H. N., 2013 Fluvial Trace Fossils in the Middle Siwalik (Sarmatian-Pontian) of Darjeeling Himalayas, India. J. Earth Syst. Sci. 12(4): 1023–1033 (DOI) 10.1007/s12040-013-0324-9. Online ISSN: 0973-774X/Print ISSN: 0253-4126.
Accepted (Peer Reviewed Journal)
- Chakraborty, A., Bhattacharya, H.N. and 2014. Anal Sac of a Cladid Crinoid from the Permo-Carboniferous Talchir Formation, Talchir Basin, Orissa, JGSI.
Accepted Abstract (International Conference)
- Chakraborty, A., 2008. Ichnomimicry: A Discussion. Abstract, ICHNIA, Krakow, Poland (Abs).
- Chakraborty, A. 2013. Geomorphological-ecological-sedimentological evolution of Chuksar Island, hugly estuary, India: a neoichnological approach. S24A - Tropical Rivers: Hydro-Physical Processes, Impacts, Hazards and Management (IGCP 582 and IAG-WG), Abstract Volume, 8th AIG Conference on ‘Geomorphology and Sustainable Development’, Paris, France. 1212p.
- Chakraborty, A., 1983: On the origin of Earth, SCAN, Jour. Asso. Geol. Sci., Asutosh College, Calcutta, V.1: 12-13 (in Bengali).
- Chakraborty, A., 1988: On the dialectic relationship between man and environment. CAMPUS, organ, C.S.U., University of Calcutta. P. 63-64. (in Bengali).
- Chakraborty, A., 1989: Gemstones and related superstitions. Janavijnan, Jour. Pasvchim Banga Vijnan Manch, July & August issues. (in Bengali).
Research Projects :
- M.Sc. Dissertation, 1986: Petrology of the area between Gopalnagar and Manbazar, Puruliya District, West Bengal.(Supervision: Dr. C. Bhattacharyya, Professor, Dept. of Geology, Calcutta University).
- M.Phil. Dissertation, 1987: Genesis of Rock Phosphate of Beldih, Puruliya District, West Bengal, and the impact of its mining and processing on the environment. (Supervision: Dr. C. Bhattacharyya, Professor, Dept. of Geology, Calcutta University).
- Ph.D. Thesis, 2006: Sedimentology and Ichnology of the Talchir Formation in Saharjuri, Bihar, India. (Supervision: Dr. H.N. Bhattacharya, Professor, Dept. of Geology, Presidency College and Dr. Subir Sarkar, Reader, Department of Geological Sciences, Jadavpur University).
Collaborations : Department of Geology & Geography, Calcutta University/State University, Barasat/Presidency University.
Special Achievements :
- UGC Minor 2000-2002 (Title: Depositional Environment of Talchir Sediments in Saharjuri Coal Fields, Bihar, India: An Integrated Lithofacies and Ichnofacies Study)
- UGC Minor 2006-2008 (Title: Lower Gondwana Bioevents in Parts of Damodar Valley Basins, India: An Ichnological Purview).
- UGC Minor 2010-2012 (ongoing) (Title: Paleoenvironment of Siwalik Deposition in the Southern Fringes of Eastern Himalayas: An Ichnological Purview.